Image Map

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

We have an EARTH Sized Love For Mother Earth

I found this coffee filter earth activity several years ago from the website: I Can Teach My Child, and I just loved it.  I use the JUMBO EARTH sized coffee filters. I love that it looks like the kids are hugging {or protecting} the earth.  
This year we also added a writing piece and the kids got to choose from the following sentence stems:
"I can save the earth by..."
"I will protect Mother Earth by..."
"I can care for the earth by..."
The impact that they have in our main stairwell is quite impressive, and the kids have really taken ownership on how they can help keep our earth clean and protected. 
Check out the "How To" and "Supply List" at the end of this post.
Supplies:
Coffee Filters {Jumbo Size Can Be Picked Up Here}
Blue & Green Markers
Water Spray Bottle

How To: 
Your Smart Tarts get to SCRIBBLE!!!  We call ourselves "Bad Kitty" when we actually get to scribble or go outside the lines on something. HAHA! 

To start, they just scribble blue and green markers all over the coffee filter in a design that looks like the earth {to them.}  We used different shades of blues and greens to give it some depth. Once finished, spray with water {see pic below} and let dry. Ours was dry by the time we got back from P.E.  Your Smart Tarts will LOVE watching the colors bleed together.  We added our hand shadows and writing piece and we were ready to display our masterpieces in the main hallway.
A GREAT video to help accompany Earth Day is Harry Kindergarten's "We're Going Green." It's a very catchy tune and teaches the 3 R's {Reduce, Reuse, Recycle} very well!
HAPPY EARTH DAY!

No comments :

Post a Comment