Image Map

Thursday, November 14, 2013

No Need To Be A CHICKEN When Learning Multiple Addend Addition ... This EGG Carton Game Makes It FUN!

***UPDATED WITH 2 ADDENDS!!***
Good Evening All!  It has been a while since I have posted an entry about one of my little "DIY" games, SOOOO I thought I would get "crackin'!"  

Using egg cartons is an EGG-celent way to make number recognition and addition fun.  This post focuses on adding 3 & 4 addends, but my little 4 year old uses it for number recognition.  My daughter, Violet, was really hamming it up for the camera in a couple of these shots.  

What you need:
Pom Pom Puff Ball Thingies {1 per addend}
An Egg Carton
Labels {or paper taped} With Desired Numbers
Place the puffballs inside the egg carton and give it a shake {or two!}
Open it up and see where they landed...
Write your number sentence & solve. If students can't solve in their head, they can draw dots or use manipulatives. 
Close and shake again for more math FUN!!
I LOVE THIS GAME!!!! {She really said that! She's my biggest fan!}
WHAT?!?! FOUR addends!!!! {What a goof!}
It proved to be simple for her!


Would you like a copy of the addition sheet?  Click here

THINK ABOUT ALL THE GAMES YOU COULD CREATE WITH EGG CARTONS.... 

I
WOULD
LOVE
TO
HEAR
YOUR
IDEAS!!!

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous11/17/2013

    I love this idea and can't wait to try it out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/17/2013

    One way this could be used for subtraction is to put in 2 puff balls and then have kids shake the labeled egg carton. Look at where the puff balls land (say 8 and 3) and teach students that you always subtract from the larger number. They would record
    8-3 = 5 and to help the younger students or struggling students, have puff balls available for them to count out and use for subtraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, SUBTRACTION! That's GREAT. I got an email from another teacher saying that she was going to put coin image and then have them add up the amount. That would be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet makes a cute model! How convenient that you have a student at home to help with your product ideas!!

    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so TRUE, Deniece! It is funny b/c she begs to play the games I create. I thought that I might be the one to do the begging. HA!!

      Delete