Monday, February 11, 2013

Things I am fond of #11 ... WHOLE BRAIN TEACHING!

I am sorry to yell that, but I am absolutely in love with the brain based learning approach: Whole Brain Teaching.  I see how it benefits the kids, how well they respond, stay engaged, and retain information that is taught.  It definitely keeps them {and me} on their toes, and it doesn't allow for much booooooooooorrrrredomeeee, because WE {the teachers} are talking LESS {micro-lecture}, they are talking more {to each other;peer to peer} and they are gesturing {kinesthetic} while they re-teach each other! 
 
Instead of me trying to explain it ... I thought I would post videos that I love by Chris Biffle.  This teaching style, I understand, isn't for everyone, but MAN I love for my class!
 
THE BASICS: Here is Chris Biffle teaching how to be a "Power Teacher"

This is a First Grade class during calendar time.

Super Speed Words {My first gators LOVE this ... We call it Super Speedy Spelling {or sight, or vocab, or ANYTHING} Words
 
First Grade rules, transitions and adding doubles.

This one isn't by Chris Baffle.  It is another First Grade class.

Chris Biffle leading a "how to begin whole brain teaching" to a middle school class.
 
Kindergarten: What is a compound word?
 
Sixth Grade: Order of Operations
 
I have modified my rules, chants, responses, cheers, etc... to fit my class, but many I do keep the same.  It is really adaptable.  Anything that connects the learning style, involves peer to peer teaching and is FUN is right up my alley.  I hope you get something that you can use! :)
 

1 comment :

  1. We also have to face many challenging situations daily. This is the reason that we do not experience such meditative and relaxed states. But it is very important to give rest to our brain otherwise it will not work properly.

    ilchi lee current news

    ReplyDelete