Image Map

Friday, February 1, 2013

Why does an "x" stand for kiss??

In honor of the upcoming holiday, Valentine's Day, I will focus on something that I love or that touches my heart each day until the BIG DAY.  So, what does that have to do with this post's title?  I LOVE learning the significance of why we do or say things. 
That led me to find out WHY OH WHY we put an "x" for "kiss."  There actually IS a reason! 
 
Check this out: The common custom of placing X's on envelopes, notes and at the bottom of letters to mean kisses dates back to the Middle Ages, when a Christian cross was drawn on documents or letters to mean sincerity, faith, and honesty. A kiss was then placed upon the cross, by the signer as a display of their sworn oath. It was also used in early Christian history as much of a display of the same. Since most of the common people could not read or write, the 'X' was placed on documents, and a kiss placed upon it as a show of their sincerity.  {source:wikipedia}
WOW isn't that COOL?!?!  I just love finding out the history behind things {weird, b/c I am not a history buff, AT ALL!}, and think it's cool how it has traveled down the generations.
 
Until tomorrow... XXOO!

2 comments :

  1. I love reading about interesting trivia like this! You have a great blog, I'm your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue ... me too! Things makes so much more sense when you know the "why" behind them. P.S. I think your blog is great too! :D

      Delete